AFRICA

Atiku reacts to US visa ban on Nigeria, asks Trump to reconsider

A former vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has expressed sadness over the US immigration visa ban on Nigeria.

It came as a surprise to many when on Friday, January 31, report surfaced that the administration of President Donald Trump has imposed visa ban on Nigeria.

Other countries affected by the ban were Eritrea, Sudan, Tanzania, Kyrgyzstan and Myanmar.

Reacting to the ban in a series of tweet, Atiku said it was 

sad thing.

He urged President Trump to consider the history of US-Nigerian relationships.

He called on the administration of Trump to consider the role Nigeria played in partnership with the US, in bringing peace to Liberia which now enjoys democracy.

According to him, Nigerians love the United States and have been a major force for the positive development of the nation.

He said the US stands to benefit if it allows open borders with a country like Nigeria.

Atiku said the President Buhari-led administration may have its deficiencies, but Nigerians do not deserve to be punished for it.

According to the ex-VP, rather than target innocent Nigerians, Trump should adopt measures which are individually targetted at those in government who have failed in their duties.

Reacting to Atiku’s post, Azeez Adeogun wondered why it is a sad thing.

“Why is that a sadness? Nigeria can place ban on US citizens coming to Nigeria as well we can survive without them that’s self-determination and we will come out strongly if believe in ourselves this is our country,” he wrote.

Another twitter user, Tatenda Zuze, wrote: “It’s meant to push to act. The US does that with all countries. You don’t punish the politicians but the people who elect the politicians.

That’s how you get things done. Look at Zimbabwe, Venezuela et al. People suffer more and that’s exactly what they want.”

“The US should do whatever they like it does not erase the fact that they have failed and will continue to fall in their wicked desire to destroy Nigeria. They have exhausted every method in their failed efforts to minimise Nigeria to a desolate nation. Nigeria will never buckle,” a tweet from John Christian Alex read.

Prior to the announcement on Friday, there had been speculations that Nigeria was among the countries to be banned from getting certain types of visa.

Reacting to this, the minister of information, culture and tourism, Lai Mohammed, said the speculated ban by the US is ill-conceived.

He said although the report is still a speculation, however, if it turns out to be true, the Nigerian government will respond comprehensively.

source:legit.ng/MSN

Comments

0 comments

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.

Close
Close
%d bloggers like this: